Colorazzi: Katherine Heigl
Color by Kim Vo ̄ , celebrity colorist, salon owner and product developer
You loved Katherine Heigl’s signature blonde locks on Grey’s Anatomy and in her titillating comedy The Ugly Truth, but now colorist Kim Vo ̄ , who owns four eponymous salons and a swiftly growing haircare empire, wants you to see this megawatt star in a whole new light...as a sumptuous brunette! “Katherine always wanted to wear darker hair, but due to pressures to look a certain way for her TV and movie roles, it wasn’t possible—until now,” beams Vo ̄.
Wasn’t he nervous? After all, Heigl’s new color—sensational or not—would cause a global rumpus just minutes after she departed his salon. “Of course I was nervous; who wouldn’t be?” he laughs. “But after reminding myself that hair is hair, no matter who’s wearing it, I was fine.”
Anthony Smelcer, Pravana Artistic team member, creates his own version of Heigl’s new burnished locks!
Haircolor: Pravana Naturceuticals
Pretreat: Silk Degrees Demi-Permanent Shine Treatment plus Shine Serum
Base: Pravana ChromaSilk, 30 ml 6 (dark blonde), 30 ml 6.3 (golden blonde), 30 ml 6.34 (dark copper golden blonde) + 10-volume developer. (Leave out strategic blonde strands to create a balayage effect.)
Toner/Glaze: Pravana Silk Degrees Botanical Colors, Honey Toner/Glaze; for a more burnished look, add Copper
After Care: Color Ensure Shampoo and Conditioner, Intensive Leave In Hydrating Treatment (home)
Haircolor: L’Oréal Professionnel, Redken
Natural Level: 7
Existing Haircolor: Level 9, cool
Hair Texture: Medium-fine
Hair Condition: Good
Base #1: Richesse (demipermanent), 30 ml 6N (light brown), 30 ml 6.34 (honey chestnut) + 9-volume developer (roots and midshafts)
Base #2: Richesse, 30 ml 6.34 (last 2” of ends only) + 9-volume developer
Dimensional Colorations: Highlights: L’Oréal Majimeche (cream lightener) + 30-volume developer Glaze/Toner: Redken Shades EQ
7 CB (demipermanent) (medium copper brown blonde) + Shades EQ Processing Solution
- Apply Base #1 from roots to 2” away from ends.
- Apply Base #2 to last 2” of ends; process for 30 minutes.
- Shampoo and damp-dry hair. Apply Glaze/Toner from roots to ends; process for 20 minutes.
- Shampoo and dry hair completely. Create approximately a 3” square parting on top, starting just behind the fringe area and extending to the crown.
- Beginning at the front of the square parting, take 1/4" partings and use the Highlighting formula to create a customized balayage pattern.
- Divide the remainder of the hair into 4 sections and randomly highlight a light amount of strands throughout the hair, keeping in mind how the color will look when worn up, and if more strands are needed on the front/sides to illuminate the complexion. Lift to level 8.
- After Care: Kim Vo ̄ Moisturizing Shampoo and Masque.
Katherine Heigl photo: Gareth Cattermole, Getty Images